PTE (Pearson Test of English)
TOEFL Advantages and Disadvantages
- This test is very much acceptable as it has over 4000 exam centers across the world
- TOEFL scores are widely accepted in Canada and the United States
- The questions in TOEFL are comparatively easier than IELTS, and the chances of getting a good score are higher
- The examination fee for TOEFL is also slightly less expensive than PTE and IELTS
- Candidates need to register for this test fast as the TOEFL exam dates fill up quickly, after which one will have to pay a late registration fee.
- The TOEFL exam is strictly online-based
- The duration of the TOEFL test is the longest when compared to other exams.
- Unlike IELTS, TOEFL does not have a separate exam for general purposes. Hence, it might be difficult for candidates who are moving abroad for immigration purposes.
About IELTS Advantages and Disadvantages
- It is mainly preferred by students who are familiar with the British English Language. Indian students are usually the ones who go for this test.
- This test is widely accepted by Australia, United Kingdom, and New Zealand.
- The IELTS test is a separate exam for general candidates who are going abroad for work purposes. It is an added advantage for them as such kind of option is not available for TOEFL candidates.
- Candidates who are not comfortable with the online-based tests can give the IELTS test offline in a paper-based format.
- It has a formal in-person interview for the speaking segment. It allows the candidate to know their examiner better and more comfortable with the process.
- Some candidates are not comfortable giving an in-person interview and prefer to speak over a microphone. IELTS holds a disadvantage for such individuals.
- The writing exam of IELTS is comparatively considered more challenging than TOEFL and PTE.
- The speaking test is not conducted on the same day. Hence, the candidate will have to wait for some time after completing the reading, listening, and writing test.
- The score reports of IELTS are not detailed as PTE and TOEFL report cards.
PTE Advantages and Disadvantages
- The writing section of PTE is more accessible as compared to TOEFL and IELTS.
- There is no physical examiner present during the test
- PTE test results are generated within a week, so the individuals who are in a hurry to get their English proficiency test results can consider going for PTE.
- Unlike IELTS, the PTE test can be finished within a single day and does not require more days to get completed.
- In general, PTE is easier as compared to TOEFL and IELTS.
- The speaking segment is not conducted in-person, instead, it is computer-based, and the candidates can record their answers over a microphone.
- PTE is comparatively a new test, and many universities still do not accept its admission process scores. Hence, you need to verify with your target university if they receive PTE scores or not before scheduling the exam.
- The recordings used in the PTE exam are comparatively more challenging as they use English lessons for their listening section recordings.
- A computer evaluates the speaking test, so there are high chances of getting a low score because of a heavy accent as compared to IELTS.